Directed by: Vijay Krishna Acharya
Produced by: Aditya Chopra, Yash Chopra
Music by: Vishal-Shekhar
Starring: Akshay Kumar, Saif Ali Khan, Kareena Kapoor, Anil Kapoor
I would start off by saying how big the expectations are from this film and its music, but I won’t. Because Yash Raj were once the best banner when it came to quality music. But now with every passing movie their standards fall lower and lower. With Tashan, the slope continues downward. Sad thing is that putting together such a great cast isn’t easy. And when they do come together they deserve at the very least a memorable soundtrack and Tashan is anything but memorable!
- Dil Haara – Sukhwinder Singh is back after his mega successful Dard e Disco. Hard to see this song being half as popular as the former. The combo of the guitar and the chorus yelling oh ho do give the song a promising beginning, but the promises are broken as soon as Sukhwinder starts singing. The song may grow on you, but its hardly something you would expect as the opening song in a movie with such great expectations. Rating:
- Chhaliya (Sunidhi Chauhan, Piyush Mishra) – The music of this song is almost identical to Na Pucho from Cash. Why? Are Vishal Shekhar running out of tunes? Despite the song being composed from recycled music, it is catchy (to some extent) and Sunidhi’s singing is great. And also considering the fact that Kareena is supposed to be in a swimsuit in this song, this one just might become popular… Rating:
- Dil Dance Maare (Sukhwinder Singh, Udit Narayan, and Sunidhi Chauhan) – Long time since we have heard from Udit Narayan, who sounds as good as ever in this tapori track. The crazy lyrics are written by Vishal himself. They will not be accepted by all but if you can tolerate them the music is pretty upbeat and catchy. This song, as wacky as it is, has a chance of being the hit of the album. As hard as it is to say this, this one is my favorite of the album! Rating:
- Falak Tak (Udit Narayan, Mahalaxmi Iyer) – After all the loudness, the album tries to take a melodious and romantic turn. I tried hard to like this song but it’s just missing something. Not entirely bad but falls short of expectations. I don’t want to sound redundant but keep in mind Yash Raj films are the proud owners of many of the greatest love duets ever! This one however will not even come close. Rating:
- Tashan Mein (Vishal, Saleem) – Here we have the worst song of the album and possibly the year. This song will be liked by people who enjoy headaches. Rating:
Each of the main characters gets a 10 second dialogue in the form of “Pooja Ka Tashan,” “Jimmy Ka Tashan”, “Bachchan Pande Ka Tashan” and “Bhaiyyaji Ka Tashan”. They give a insight into the character but were better left in the movie only.
None of the songs are entirely bad (except the title song), but neither are any of them great. We expected A LOT more from a film that is supposed to be the biggest of 2008. But as it turns out the music is strictly average and nothing more. Hopefully the movie will be better than the music is…especially considering the all-star cast.