Movie Review: U Me aur Hum
Movie Title: U Me aur Hum
Director and Producer: Ajay Devgan
Music: Vishal Bharadwaj
Dialouges: Ashwani Dheer
Story and Writer: Ajay Devgan, Akash Khurana, Robin Bhatt and Sutanu Gupta
Cast: Ajay Devgan, Kajol, Divya Dutta, Sumeet Raghavan, Karan Khanna, Isha Sharwani, Sachin Khedekar, Aditya Rajput and Hazel.
U Me aur Hum was hugely publicized, but it had high hype too. So, let’s see what the hype was about.
- Ajay devgan makes his directorial debut.
- Kajol’s onscreen paring with husband Ajay Devgan after a very long time. They were last seen together in their home production Raju chacha.
- Kajol appears on the big screen after almost three years. She was last seen in Fanaa.(I’m not counting the special appearances she did in Om Shanti Om and Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna)
You may ask, ‘with all the hype and publicity, does ‘U Me aur Hum’ live up to the expectations?’ The answer is ‘yes’.
I’m not going to tell you the entire story like other reviews, because it spoils the entire movie watching experience. Let me make it short. U Me aur Hum is about Pia(kajol), an Alzheimer’s patient, and the person who loves her the most Ajay(ajay devgan), her husband. It’s about the painful journey they go through, and how they live happily ever after. The movie is about love, trust and hope.
Now, the technical aspects and cast of the movie:
- Director: Ajay Devgan makes a fine director. He shows the same level of intensity which we see in his acting. He joins the group of actors-turned-fine-directors.
- Music: Vishal Bharadwaj’s music is too ordinary. Probably Ajay should have got some happening music director like Pritam or Shankar-Ehsan-Loy. Lyrics like ‘saheli jaisa sayyan’ make no sense.
- Cinematography: This is one field I’m totally impressed. The cinematography can be compared to the best of Hollywood. The camera moves at such angles that it’s a delight to watch. Watch the way they have taken the ariel shots of the cruise.
- Dialogues: Dialogues are excellent, but sometimes they get taxing, especially when they try too hard to rhyme. All that rhyming dialogues are good only if the movie has one or two, but U Me aur Hum has way too many.
- Ajay Devgan: Ajav Devgan delivers a powerhouse performance. But something says to me that Shahrukh Khan would have done it better, because the role was tailor-made for him. By the way, I’m not saying that Ajay is bad.
- Kajol: Everyone knows that Kajol is an excellent actress. She proves it yet again by delivering one of the best performances of her career. Playing Alzheimer’s patient is not an easy task, but Kajol makes it look so easy.
- Among the supporting actors, the notable are Divya Dutta and Sumeet Raghavan. Karan Khanna, Isha Sharwani, Sachin Khedekar, Aditya Rajput and Hazel just fill up the cast.
On the whole, U Me aur Hum is a good movie. Rating: